Saturday, November 13, 2010

Where have I been the last six years?

The title of this post is not a hyperbole about my extended absence from my own blog. It's a reference to the fact that I'm finally watching The L Word in its' entirety. I have thoughts. So many thoughts! Largely regarding how annoying some of these characters are, but also about the groundbreaking representation of lesbians and bisexual women on television (granted pay cable).




Before I started really watching this show, I'd seen a couple clips of episodes, either on line or on TV late at night. I had seen people tell Alice "when are you going to choose between dick and pussy" and right about then I said to The L Word "Hey, The L Word, you can go fuck yourself right in the ear!" I had no interest in Shane the uber-dyke with her greasy hair and her properly dykely promiscuity. Those were my two big problems.

I finally gave in. Circa episode one, I was all "oooh, Jenny Schecter is so artsy and cool!" She was a pre-hipster, with big gigantic doll-eyes and her whispery little voice and her struggle to deal with the fact that she's obviously in love with Marina in all her Amazonian glory. Alice was insufferable, irritating, grating, annoying, pretentious, all that good stuff. Dana was a self-hating lez and Bette and Tina were just kind of boring.

Throughout the show I've watched so far (halfway through season two) Jenny becomes this deceitful, shameless, cheating, creepy liar, retaining the physical charm she always had (I'm assuming why she was cast) but it's impossible to ignore that she's (Word of God) the producer's favorite character, which is why she gets to waste so much screentime with her hateful bullshit and constructed drama and terrible writing. Shane's character gets some actual development and you learn about her past as a drug addicted street kid who turned tricks posing as a guy. She's also a loyal friend and actually gives a shit about the other characters we're suppose to be so involved in. Alice actually becomes a human being who's less self obsessed and defined by her "top ten lists". She still gets told to choose between men and women, but hey, we're just being honest, right!? Bette cheats on Tina, and claims "she couldn't help it", so obviously she's blameless. Charming! So she and Tina break up, because lesbians don't have successful relationships! That's for straight people, silly! Lesbians just have loads of sex with other lesbians! Like, all the time! They fall in love a ton, but then they still just have loads of lesbian sex, while falling out of love and fucking loads of strangers and friends and stuff.

This is the lesson I've learned about lesbians from The L Word. Lesbians are mostly either tricksy, cheating, deceitful wenches (later Jenny, Marina, Bette, Tonya, Helena, etc) or naive, wide eyed, and lost (Jenny early season 1, Tina until the new job and still sort of after that, Dana). A couple of them are generally human but they mostly have hard tragic pasts (Shane).

Season two is already well on its way to becoming its own in-joke about itself. The endless "dyke drama" and bed-hopping is often punctuated with some version of the show's theme song sung in a different language or played in a different style or tempo, but it's always there in your face. Irritating. The song itself says that "this is the way that we live and love". You know what, L Word? Speak for yourself. I'm not a huge fan of the idea that the show represents the lifestyles of lesbian and bisexual women when they all do exactly the same thing and their dramas are practically indistinguishable from each other. Also, all queer women are skinny and pretty and there aren't many women of colour among us. This omission was most notable at the Gay Pride parade in season two. I just watched that, and the older, fatter lesbians and women of colour are background interest. They don't get lines, they don't get to do anything other than swan around in their boas, on their dyke-bikes, being stereotypical. Then we go back to focus on Dana's family drama with her newly out gay brother. Of course, he outs himself by going to a club and grinding on a stranger, because that's how we do in the LGBT community!

To be honest, those are the women I would like to see a show about. Some diverse fucking women who don't have to be traditionally attractive, young, rich and mostly white for their audience to give a shit about their lives and their loves. Oh, and maybe they could be defined by something other than who they fuck? Maybe...Probably not, though.

7 comments:

  1. At first I started watching it because "I'll watch girls kiss and maybe see some stories that kinda reflect my life more than heteronormative stories on tv". But it was all about screwing and it's really bad. Later there are a few stories about women discovering they are gay but it seems to be step 1( you don't know you're gay step 2) shane fucks you
    step 3)you're super gay and only hang out with super gays. That doesn't reflect my life. I have mostly straight friends. I don't have sex with someone everytime I'm in a public bathroom. I actually have trouble meeting girls.
    And they completely ignore bisexuality after season two.

    I had the same problems with Queer as Folk but I think it was a better show.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of the things that really irritates me is how HARD it is to find someone of the same sex to try and date on! Seriously, when you're a straight person, you might get shot down, but if you're queer and you ask out the wrong person, you might get your ass handed to you. That makes dating SERIOUSLY difficult.

    Also, bisexual erasure is something I've talked about here before, and that doesn't even take into account the intentional removal of bisexuals from representations of the LGBTQ community.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did like the show (what I watched of it) but I also had issues about how pretty much every single character was either promiscuous or unfaithful. I may not be bi or gay, but I am still all too aware that that is a gross misrepresentation. I checked on Wikipedia to see where I stopped watching and I saw up until the second last episode of season 3 (why I didn't just watch the season finale, I have no clue, probably cuz it was a bit of a bummer at the end.)

    I also found it odd that they had practically no straight friends. Like they were the cool kids and heteros aren't cool enough to be part of their group. Like you said they were always hounding Alice to "pick a side," and I'm sure if Kit hadn't been related to Bette they wouldn't have given her the time of day.

    As for your comment on lesbian relationships being doomed compared to straight ones, I don't necessarily agree, it might seem that way but there are significantly fewer hetero relationships on the show, and they don't fare any better. I think that is just a TV thing, writers refuse to let couples be happy and stay happy because viewers like the drama better. Take a look at any network drama and its exactly the same with their straight characters, they hook up, break up, rebound with someone else, get back together with their ex, break up again, etc. Its just how TV portrays relationships.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't have a problem with inserting drama into the lives of couples to realistically represent people's lives. No one is really just happy and cool all the time in a relationship. That's fine. But that doesn't mean you can't have ONE couple that stays together, at least for a while. Out of all the couplings that have gone down (heh) on this show in three years, none of them have successfully lasted one year. What the hell is that? Wicked unrealistic.

    Ilene Chaikin said that her goal was never to be some kind of cultural landmark, but when you are making the first lesbian-centric show on TV, cable or no cable, you have to accept that people are going to be watching you and thinking and talking about how you portray the community. So that's some bullshit.

    And yeah, I'm right around the end of season three now, and I cannot believe they chose Dana to be the one to die. Dana was awesome. Why not Bette? Maude, why not Bette?! Or Jenny? Seriously. Barf.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know, Dana really grew on me and was one of the less caricature-y characters IMO, it totally should've been Jenny who died, but Ilene had some strange love for her so 3 more seasons of unlikeable Jenny being crammed in our faces it is I guess. I was also rooting for Dana and Alice to get back together, screw Bette and Tina, I know they're the "main" couple we should be pulling for but I liked Alice and Dana better.

    And yeah, the relationships were pretty short lived. I do feel like sometimes cable shows storylines feel a bit more rushed than network shows since they consist of roughly half the number of episodes, so I guess she felt the need to pack an unnecessary amount of drama into a few short episodes, cutting all the relationships short in the process. I'm not sure if I'll ever get around to watching the last 3 seasons or not, I've got a few other shows sitting on my PC waiting to watched so it would be awhile if I ever did decide to go for it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am totally Dana/Alice! I can't believe that like, six weeks after dana died, Alice was all over Lara. When Dana left her for Lara, she was on like, fifty medications and all tripping out on public radio and stuff. But then Dana dies, and Alice is like "WAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHOHWELLlet's make out". I am totally OK with people grieving however they grieve, and I wasn't THAT surprised when they banged after the funeral. But then they're in, what a relationship? And Lara's all "Let's talk about US blurrrr". Irritating.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Boyfriend and I say to each other on a pretty regular basis (a couple times an episode) "Bad writing".

    ReplyDelete