Monday, February 22, 2010

Thin Privilege And Why Body Snarking Sucks

So I have already posted about why body snarking fat people isn't cool. I mentioned in that same post that I intended to blog about thin privilege specifically. The reason for that is that I hear SO MANY comments about my body on a daily basis that I cannot even handle it, guys. I know that it's completely different from the comments that fat people get, which is why I decided to make two different posts about it. They are related, but different issues.



I hear about my body size at least once a day, from strangers most often. Obviously Boyfriend makes all kinds of comments about my body, but they are usually framed ONLY in the words "you are hot" or "nice butt" or some such. These comments are made in a tone of general appreciation, and with a lack of judgement. I am OK with that. That is positive and non-specific in a way that makes me smile. Smiling is pretty good I think.

Here are some comments I have heard from people I barely know "you're so skinny", "You're no bigger than a minute", "skinny minnie", "you're so lucky to be able to eat like you do", "girl, you need to eat a sandwich!" etc, etc.

You might be thinking "but those sound like good things", because that is why I assume people make those comments. I assume that they are trying to compliment me. As much as I appreciate the sentiment, kinda, here is what I hear when I hear those comments:

"Your value is directly attached to your body shape and where you fit into a beauty ideal that is mostly unrealistic", and "it's a good thing you look like you do, because if you weren't thin, that would be bad", and "don't think I don't notice what you're eating, because I do and I am judging you".

Maybe that's not what people mean, but that is the message that they are sending. That they buy into the "women's value = body" idea. And I hate that idea. I also hate the fact that I feel like when comments are made about my body type, people are expecting me to conspiratorially agree. Like I'm going to say "I know, thank Hebbens I'm not FAT." I even admit to usually responding something along the lines of "I'll ride this metabolism wave as long as I can", when the real truth is "I pretty much am always gonna eat this way, because I enjoy certain foods, and also if I STOP eating I will die". Maybe I will start saying that.

Anyways, thank god for you, thin police. I'm so glad you're here to remind me what my body looks like, because without you I would have had no idea. I'm also glad you're letting me know that what I eat and how I eat it (specifically how much) are on your radar. In case I should ever become GASPFATOMG. I'm glad to know you'll be here to get your judgements in on that, too.

I'm not talking about compliments here. Because you can say to someone "you look nice today" or "that [item in outfit] looks great on you" regardless of what a person's body type is.

So get the fuck out of my business and stop commenting on my body like I give a shit what you think. Cause I don't. Also, my body does not exist to validate how you judge other people.

No comments:

Post a Comment